First of all, thanks to Maggie Beer for providing this wonderful recipe which is Gluten Free friendly and 100% delicious guaranteed, to see more of her tasty recipe’s head over to her site.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Dry roast the almonds on a baking tray for 6-8 minutes, but don’t let the skins blister. Reduce the oven temperature to 170C.
- Once cooled, grind the almonds using a mortar and pestle or food processor until fairly fine, adding a drop or two of rosewater.
- Beat the egg whites with the lemon juice in a large bowl until soft peaks form, then add the icing sugar bit by bit, beating all the time, until the meringue is stiff. Fold in the ground almonds, then drop teaspoons of the mixture 5 centimetres apart onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until lightly coloured, then turn off the oven and allow the macaroons to cool for 20 minutes before removing them to a wire rack. Store the cooled macaroons in an airtight container, where they will keep for a few days.