In 2003, Australian farmer John Foss founded The Chia Co with a strong vision: to improve the health of the global community by making chia available to everyone, every day.
Pioneer of the sustainable farming genre, John comes from a family tree stacked with four generations of farming in their blood. Enlisting the help of local farmers who shared his vision, John established the world's largest scale sustainable chia farms in Western Australia. He also set up a completely transparent supply chain, ensuring fair value for every person involved along the way – like a farmer's market model, on a global scale.
In 2007, after a few years of agronomic research and trials, entrepreneurial farmers Robert Boshammer and Tim Croot joined The Chia Co as partners to help John take this important seed to a global market.
COMMITMENT TO SUSTAINABLILTY
- Make a positive contribution to public health by making Chia available to as many people as possible
- Educate the global community on the value of good nutrition and Chia’s role in that
- Provide fair value to all communities we operate in and help build those communities in which we farm
- Grow Chia in perfect harmony with nature, improving nature’s gifts along the way
- Use natural, gravity-fed watering methods
- All natural harvesting and sun-ripening
- Minimize total environmental impact
- A long-term global initiative ensuring that Chia is in a vital part of the world’s diet in 50-100 years
- Make Chia available at a fair value to the global community
- Invest profits in future growth, more nutritious chia